Total Pageviews

"Back on my Feet"

Let's see. I started driving when I was 13 years old (got my first speeding fine the same year) and bought my first car 4 months after I left school which means that for 31 years I have never been without my own wheels. Broke my heart when I had to get rid of my car back home 5 weeks ago, and the mere thought that I would be without my own transport scared the living daylights out of me.

The fact that my wife would fortunately have a company car sort of soothed my nerves, but still. I have been here one week now without my own transport as the company car was used by the wife to work and back. I had lots of things to sort out which required getting around and truthfully, I have not had one incident where I was stranded. To date I have not used the MRT Rail system as all my dealings were in the "City Centre".

Between the taxi's, apartment bus and free shuttle busses between all shopping malls I did not miss my car once so far. Off course, I also ended up walking a lot, by choice rather than having no other options. It is really easy to get around and with the normal Bus service hop on hop off service there just is no need to have your own car. Typical taxi fair around the city comes to between $5 - $7 but can be more expensive when you travel in peak hours.

I got caught in a rainstorm yesterday (Without an umbrella), not clever while walking back from the Ministry of Labour and once again, no problem. Waved a taxi down and bob is your uncle.

There are taxi's all over the place and you never have to look for one. While drining with Jen (The Estate agent) outside the city there is the same bus/taxi/train infrastucture and hopefully once we move I will have the same experience. I will report back once I have tried the transport in those areas.

Minimum chrage for a taxi is $3 with a 2$ surcharge during peak hours. Bus transport is a lot cheaper.

Back home I never walked anywhere because of safety concerns, but here it is safe and rather fun getting around walking, even at night.

PS. Do not leave without an umbrella in hand - Big mistake

No comments:

Post a Comment