Total Pageviews

Shark Fin and Shopping in the Slow Lane

Mondays is Eviltwin's shopping day and I have the car, but based on the disaster last week I decided to change the shopping day to Tuesday. Big Mistake. Holy unaware of the fact that Tuesdays is "Pensioner" day at Fairprice Supermarket, I got there and it looked like I had entered an Old Age Home. I could not understand what the heck but persevered with lots and lots of patience as things were very slow from a "Isle Traffic" point of view.

Ended up doing another 45 minute stand in the queue and finally asked the teller diplomatically why it was so "busy". Ah, she said. Tuesdays is pensioner day. You must not come here on a Tuesday. I enjoy old people but I am going to delay shopping with big groups of pensioners for at least a few more years.  Shopping day now on Wednesday and I really hope it is more successful. Hopefully something like "Super Model" day or something.

Also managed to get the Breyani for lunch yesterday at the Ang Mo Kio Hub. I have walked past this little shop many times and the food aroma in the air is intoxicating, but it is always packed. Found a empty spot yesterday and got me the Mutton Breyani for a mere $6. It's right up there with the best I have ever had and at the end my nose was running, eyes watery and sweat running down my face. Heaven!!!!! I sat next to an Old Chinese Guy and he goes there once a week every week. We agreed the food is awesome and he told me I could not go wrong with any of the other menu choices. Another favourite spot for me and I really wished some of my curry loving friends were here.

I have never eaten any food containing shark but have noticed it on sale in the supermarkets since arriving in Singapore. We decided that this would not be part of our diet and I must admit I really try and do my bit when it comes to preservation and endangered seafood. Big announcement in the news that Cold Storage, one of the biggest Supermarket Chains here will stop selling shark fin and any shark products in their 42 outlets across the country.


"We want to play our part towards caring for the environment. Our team is committed to sourcing for quality, sustainable seafood and other products in our efforts to achieve long-term sustainability and marine conservation," said Mr Victor Chia, CEO of Cold Storage Supermarket, in a statement."
Well done Cold Storage and you have my continued support.


Singapore is one of the biggest seafood consumers in the Asia-Pacific region, consuming an average of 100,000 tonnes of seafood each year. Most of this is imported from the Coral Triangle, the world's most diverse marine environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment