Total Pageviews

The Little Bit of Food

The weekend ended up in more hard work and shopping for the house, brooms, vacuum cleaner and other related items. My planned interesting trip did not materialise and I am determined to finish the house duties before this weekend so we can enjoy the more exciting things. So much on my list to explore.

At least the Saturday breakfast turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We went to the Ang Mo Kio Hub which is just down the drag from our house. I know, another Mall, but that is part of the journey. Once again we arrived to "early" as most of the shops were still closed at  10h00 (still a weird concept that gets me every time), so we strolled around like lost you know what to find a place to eat. Found a little place called The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf ad browsed the menu. Not a big selection and I was sure this was not going to be good. Zelma ordered the Eggs Ben and I chose the Egg Club Sandwich.

Patiently waited and when the food arrived looked very appetising. In a nutshell, the best breakfast sandwich I have ever had and if I could would have had another one on the spot. Fresh baguette, topped with ham, cheese and the most perfect poached eggs ever and a little salad on the side. Not the ones you get when the eggs is done in water, no something was different. Perfectly round, thick white with the texture of cake and the perfect soft yellow center. Heaven ! Now , I love eggs, all eggs and I was determined to get to the bottom of this. Could not speak to the little Chinese chef and tried looking into the kitchen to no avail. I spend the rest of Saturday thinking about this and finally decided to experiment in the evening and Eureka, I manage to get it done exactly the same. here is how I did it.

Take and oiled egg ring or more and put in non stick pan. Boil some water and fill the pan to the top level of the egg rings and pour in some white vinegar (about a teaspoon). Do not panic if the water goes into the rings, this is part of it. Put the pan on the stove and bring to boil. Crack eggs into rings and put on a lid, preferably glass so you can check on the little buggers. About three minutes or until the whites have set and Bob's your Uncle. Another little trick at the end is to use a slotted spoon to gently remove the eggs and put on your favourite sandwich . They are a bit slippery to remove with a spatula. Give it a try and taste the difference. Now onto the "little" salad.

Salad is rabbit food and that's it according to me, but I changed my mind on Saturday. It like carrot cake. How can you call it cake if it is made from vegetables? Any case, quite a simple salad, with lettuce, tangy salad dressing, sliced almonds, sliced baby tomatoes and here is the killer, cranberries. I am a converted man and will do this one many times over.

The fish counters in the malls have the most amazing fresh fish and seafood selection and the only problem is, I do not know fish. Never really been a favourite except for prawns off course. So I randomly picked a fish on Saturday called Treadfill Fillet and made it last night. Pan fried (non stick pan) in a bit of olive oil, dash of butter, skin side down first for about three minutes. Watch the fish and the colour start changing from the bottom up, turn, sprinkle with salt, cracked black pepper and finish off with a splash of lemon. Easy and very nice served with fluffy mashed potatoes and some pan fried peas in butter. Came out juicy, crumbly flesh and it had no bones. Yummy. You can try this with another fish if you can not find "Treadfill". Must get a fish book to help with my selection.

A friend of mine asked me a while back how to do perfect chips every time. Wannette, you still need to give me feedback but I guess there was no real time on honeymoon to try it out.  So here is my recipe. Peel and cut potatoes (or just cut with skin on, my favourite) and microwave in salt water for about 8 minutes until soft. Not too soft so does depend on your microwave (you must be able to insert a small knife without resistance). Drain and let it stand for 5 minutes. Here is the trick. Sprinkle with maizena (corn flour) and shake until all is coated. Leave for 10 minutes and deep fry until golden brown. The chips will be soft inside and crispy outside. Perfect. I have them with salt and vinegar spice and off course All Gold tomato sauce.

My next foodie post will cover the elusive Umami Burger, considered to be the best tasting in the world, and I know about burgers so I will be a good judge and my all time favourite pudding, Jan Ellis and the story behind it.

Umami is a loanword from the Japanese umami (うまみ ?) meaning "pleasant savory taste".[6] This particular writing was chosen by Professor Kikunae Ikeda from umai (うまい) "delicious" and mi (味) "taste". Lots of stories and I accidentally saw it on the Food Asia Channel as "The food that changed my life" for one of the celebrity Cooke's. Will give feedback and the recipe once I have been tried it out.

I had the TV on in the background with the Miss Universe Live Broadcast so forgive me for any inconsistencies. Difficult to focus. And the winner is Miss Angola. One for Africa.

Oh, one more thing. They came to paint the fixed ceiling yesterday and I was surfing the Net when I heard the shower going. At first I was not sure so i got up to take a look and what do I find. The man is cleaning his paint brushes in my beautiful new shower. I nearly killed the little shit. Must keep and eye on things.


Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment