Total Pageviews

Singapore National Day

Tomorrow is my 2nd National Day in Singapore and I really enjoy this time of the year. Everybody has flags on their houses, flats and cars, shopping centers are made up and the whole country is proud and celebrate their independence. And then there is the National Day Parade which is on hell of a celebration. It's both a nice day but in my case also sad when I think of my own home country, South Africa. The favourite saying is, "Singapore is"Home" and this is where my sense of sadness originate from.


Where is my home? In order to understand the question one must first look at the definition of "Home" It can be a place of origin, even a physical place but more important to me a place where you feel you belong. Home is therefor not a physical location but a mental or emotional state of refuge or comfort. When you are surrounded by things that provide psychological comfort. A place where you feel safe and have a sense of belonging and certainly not discriminated against.



One of the questions featured on AMLive TV this week is, "What makes you proud about Singapore" with some amazing answers from the public. Then Zelma asked me this morning what my answer would be if I was asked the question about South Africa. We agreed that it would be difficult and something to think about before answering. So here is my answer. How beautiful the country is and that in itself is sad.

So where is my home. Right now the answer is Singapore. I am in my "comfort zone" here and I have not felt this way for many years back home. Obviously we miss our friends and family but to be honest I have not felt "Homesick" since leaving.



And yes, that's my Singapore flag on my gate because I want to share in the proud sentiments around me in my neighbourhood. It's a very nice time of the year in Singapore. Maria, a South African Expat came to watch the rugby with us on Saturday and thought she was at the wrong house when she saw the flag on the gate.

Oh, hang on, I remember very clearly when I last felt like this in South Africa. The year of the World Cup Rugby 1995, when I still respected and honoured my President, Nelson Mandela and the whole nation was one. Hell, we did flags, car mirror sock, car flags, national songs and therein lies my sadness.The "Era of Hope"






And then came you all know who. Really, Really sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment