Total Pageviews

Sport "sucks" in Singapore

Considering I have been in The Little Red Dot for a year now I feel I have the right to express may dismay regarding the sport scene in Singapore. It's top ten country this and top ten destination that and countless other accolades but when it comes to sport, Singapore really does not cut the grade. It's all the focus on the "intellectual" and no focus on the 'healthy" sport side of things.

I have been watching the Olympics the past week with the hope that I could at least cheer on some local sport heroes but to my horror and apart from the one little ray of sunshine, Feng Tianwei , who managed to win the Bronze medal for ladies individual Table Tennis, there are no other "stars"




Congratulations and well done Feng Tianwei.

"Singapore's first individual medal in 52 years". That tells the story as the rest of the Asian countries actually do very well at the Olympics. Come on Singaporeans. Sport is as important as the rest and teaches you endurance, camaraderie, builds team spirit and keeps you healthy.

There is nothing to rave about the local sport scene with the biggest local event the National Football (soccer in SA terms) team which everybody gets excited about when 2000 or so spectators turn up for a game. Back home this would be like a Saturday morning school rugby gathering.

It's the one big thing I miss. There is no Tennis, Cricket, Rugby, Comrades or anything that resembles a "decent" gathering of sport stars and their loyal supporters. Apart from my beloved Setanta , Starhub rugby channel (thank heavens for that),  there is no F1, MotoGP or Superbike broadcasts to watch. Off course there are many soccer channels and some Golf but that is not my cup of tea.

I have been listening to all the talk about Singapore's future and how to build a good future for Singaporeans so I leave you with the words of  Nelson Mandela.


"Sport has the power to change the world,  to inspire and unite the People"


Being part of the Rugby World Cup 1995 in South Africa I can say without a doubt that it is true.

Click here for the The Full Nelson article



One Team , One Nation





No comments:

Post a Comment