Total Pageviews

Reverse Parking

This is something I still find "funny" and puts a smile on my face every time I get to park anywhere in Singapore. This is uniquely Singapore style and during my research to find out how this came to be some people have some strong opinions about the topic. I have travelled the world and certainly this was a first for me although some sources say it's also done in the UK.





I found many opinions and theories in this regard. Reversing out, thus "looking back" into the past apposed to looking into the future is one such theory. Reverse parking is inherently safer as you are forced to look back before parking is another. The most credible explanation is the fact that it is historical and due to the fact that parking bays in the HDB complexes are very small and narrow and reverse parking allows you to park further back especially with a big car. Makes sense I think.

There is even the view that reverse parking is more fuel efficient, but that one does not hold water as you ultimately have the same two motions in front and reverse parking. It could be considered "against the grain" and even disrespectful if you do not reverse park.

Ultimately it's a peoples choice and if that is what you are used to and comfortable with I have no problem with it. I prefer front parking because that is what I have been doing all my life and certainly mean no disrespect. It's just easier to get my shopping trolley to the boot without navigation between reverse parked cars and heaven forbid damaging someones vehicle in the process and that is something I have far stronger feelings about.

P.S  I have observed Singaporeans front park as well.


1 comment:

  1. Well - I can spot your car in the photo.

    ReplyDelete