Total Pageviews

Freezing in Singapore

No, not some form of global warming, just a trip to the local Snow City in Jurong. My niece is 12 years old and this was her number one on her list of places to see during their visit here a week ago. Personally, I would not have done this one and think snow is highly overrated. It's wet, very cold and bloody hard as I found out when some fool hurled a snow ball and hit me on the back of the head when took a trip up Sani Pass in Lesotho back home. More on this in a separate posting.


This is one where Singapore can not claim to be the number one Indoor Snow Arena's in the world. Based on what I have read my expectations were much bigger. The snow covered area is only 1200 sq meters but still it turned out to be a lot of fun and certainly the coldest  I have been since coming to Singapore. Indoor temperature is maintained at -5 degrees Celsius.



We took the standard 1 hour package at $14 per adult which included the jackets and boots. I highly recommend you pay the extra money to rent some gloves and wet pants. After 40 minutes and seven tube rides down the slope we quit. In my defence, you have to walk back up for each ride. Everything was frozen and I never thought the Singapore heat would be so welcome. Trust me it was.


Cameras are not allowed in the snow dome but the resident photographers take "Hundreds" of pictures which can be purchased at the photo shop in the entrance. There is a curio shop and a nice little restaurant where you can buy snack food and a hot cup of Milo to help you defrost. If you are looking for a break from the heat and want to freeze your butt off this is certainly a venue to visit.

Snow City is conveniently situated right next to the Singapore Science Centre and Omni Theatre for some additional fun. A nice family day outing and loads of fun for a while.

PS. The lowest actual temperature recorded in Singapore was 19.4 degrees on 31 January 1934.

No comments:

Post a Comment