Total Pageviews

Kampong Glam Explored

Joined Avalone from NCompass Mobility for  a Kampong Glam guided walk on the weekend. I have been to this area before and did two postings called Arab Street and Leaning Tower but the fact that this was with a guide sounded interesting with the oppertunity to learn more about the "Village".

We met at the NCompass offices and the group of eight departed via bus to Victoria Street to commence the walk. My first bus ride since arriving in Singapore as I never had the need to use it before. You can read the previous postings on the already covered stuff with this posting focus on the new and strange things I came across.




Stocked up on some water, got a briefing from the guide and started the walk from the Golden Landmark Shopping Complex. The walk took about two hours and we visited two Mosque's, perfume shops, textile shops, eateries, curio shops, carpet shops, art galleries and saw some pretty amasing stuff in the process.

The Malay Heritage Center. (Currently closed for restoration but according to the notice at the gate due to open June 2012. Watch out for this one.




The official photographer was missing in action so I was given the task of taking photos and did I have fun.




Here are some of my favourites captured during the walk. The Three Wise Men, Telephone Booth, No Alchohol, Cheap Haircut, Extreme Paintjob and Mini Couch.




While the group visited the inside of the Sultan Mosque (I did not feel like taking my shoes off again), I did my own little exploration down the street and found this little gem, Children Little Museum. It's more than a museum and you can buy toys and other stuff downstairs. They also have a retro booth with items from the 50's and 60's. The shop has some outrages retro toys on display that  brings back fond memories.




Finished the walking trip of with a seriously delicious lunch at the the Zam Zam restaurant. (Best Muslim Food in Town), established since 1908. Avalone ordered a group meal that consisted of Chicken Murtabak, Nasi Goreng and Chop Mutton. Super tasty and highly recommended.




Met some very nice people and had a blast. NCompass Mobility does weekly tours and I can recommend it to both Expats and Singaporeans. Very informative and cost effective. Their offices in Riverwalk is also a hub for information and things to do in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment