Total Pageviews

Super Internet and Hot Showers

The long awaited day dawned and the furniture arrived on Wednesday. I know several people who have moved in the past two months and you will all agree. It is very hard work and I am not talking one day either. It's been three days of slave labour and still the house looks like a tornado has hit it. To be honest, we have been to hell and back over the past three months and it will be another two weeks or so before everything is in place again.

Wednesday was also very event full with the container truck driver taking out a huge, and I mean huge tree on the pavement while trying to park the truck. That one must still be sorted out. And then the electrician decided to fall thru the ceiling while installing a replacement fan in the bedroom. Luckily he miraculously grabbed on a beam and did not fall all the way as the ceiling is very high. A few cuts and definitely major bruising. Shame, but true to the service delivery standard he finished the job.

The plumber rocked up on Wednesday afternoon after some discussions with the Landlord (I was not part of that one) and proceeded to install a geyser and two new water heaters in the other bathrooms. He also replaced all the fitting and the bathrooms are now spunky with "Home style" hot water and proper shower pressure. Bless the Landlord for his generosity. I found out he lives down the road, so I will be going to meet him and thank him in person. I will return the favour by turning the garden into a flower paradise over the next year.

Now on to some exciting stuff. Today is the World Rugby Cup kickoff. Yes, and we have been waiting for it and some serious office celebrations I see all over the world. Nice one, Eileen in New Zealand going to Eden park for the opening celebrations. Obviously I can not attend any of the games but will be following it on Starhub's, Setanta channel. For those of you who also love rugby and would like to participate in the fun Superbru Rugby prediction game, here is the website link: www.superbru.com. You can search and join my Warlords Pool.

I have not mentioned the Internet in Singapore while we were living in the Frazer Suites, but now I have my own connection at home and all I can say is, Wow and bloody amazing. You have four service providers to choose from and the download speed can be up to 1 Gbps. Obviously it depends on how much money you are willing to spend, but a 50 Mbps connection like I have from Starhub will set you back a mere $56. In simple terms it means you can download, stream video and just in general have a super fast Internet experience. To put it into context the Global average is around 9.8 Mps and in Singapore it is around the 16Mps mark. Really awesome. In 2010 the official statistics were 78% of the population has Internet and 99.9% of the country had coverage.

I wish you all a nice weekend and enjoy the rugby boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment