Total Pageviews

Halloween, Foreign Machines and Cherish Thy Mother

For the past week there has been a local social media storm over the cancellation of the student Halloween Show, "House of Horrors" that was going to be held at the Night Zoo facility. In a nutshell, the students has worked for seven months in conjunction with the Night Zoo to put the thing together only to get a phone call two weeks ago informing them that they have cancelled the venue. The Reason. The show was deemed not family orientated. I do not know the show specifics but I have to agree with the students that this is a disgrace. And since when is Halloween not family orientated.

We (Me and Zelma) hosted annual Halloween parties for years and it always included Trick or Treats for the children who would pop by and knock on the door. The Students said the show would bring people together and I agree one hundred percent. Part of the fun of doing Halloween is to see interesting decor, what your guests actually dress up as and off course the menu. We had lots of fun making up the house, creating decor and me planning the menu to make it scary and fun. So go ahead and have a Halloween Party this year for fun.

Heard on the local news this morning that electricity charges is going down by 1.2% for the remaining quarter of the year. Huh, going down. How can that be, but confirmed in a later newscast. I guess some other utility companies from back home should come for some lessons. And there is only one. Eskom.

Another lesson learned this week from an Expat point of view. The washing machine all of a sudden started making a terrible sound while in the spin cycle. Easy to solve, phone technician and get it fixed. The problem is as soon as I mention the brand name AEG, the first three companies I phoned politely said they could not look at it. The fourth guy said he would come out and on arrival nicely explained to me that any products from other countries that are not also sold in Singapore would not be supported from a parts point of view. Basically that includes my Dishwasher and some other stuff. His advise as he took the $30 for the call out with a smile. Buy a new one locally for less than $300 and dump the AEG and if any of the other stuff should develop problems do the same. Point to remember when you decide to ship equipment from your home country.

We are approaching the Monsoon season and more frequent rain showers over the past two weeks. Yesterday was another rainy day so I made my favourite trademark soup. Thick Vegetable soup with Oxtail meat served with Cheezy Mielie Muffins. The point about the soup is that I could not stop thinking of my mother, who we suddenly lost earlier in the year. I do not have many fond childhood memories, but Moms soup is one of them. She could make the most awesome food. One day she was still there and the next day gone. You never know when you will actually see somebody the last time so make each moment count. Cherish your moms and I miss you so much mom.

I wish you all a magic weekend filled with whatever your wish might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment