Total Pageviews

A Tragic Accident & Outrages Responses

I will start this posting with my personal view that the accident on the weekend with a reckless Ferrari driver causing an immense tragedy that will effect many lives fore ever. My personal condolences to all the families effected by this tragedy. This tragedy is about a reckless, possibly drunk and definitely speeding driver killing innocent people. It has absolutely nothing to do with who the driver was. It could have been anybody.

Before I give my honest and direct response let me make it clear why I am uniquely qualified and experienced to do so. I grew up and lived in South Africa for 49 years. I pondered a response since the weekend but after reading some of the on line forums, comments and postings I have no other option. Some of the Netizen responses over the past few days have infuriated me to the point that I can no longer not respond. It's outrages, stupid and extremely dangerous.

I have seen discussions, responses and forums about negative sentiment towards foreigners, why Singapore is becoming racistdiscrimination against foreigners, a nation doomed because of loose immigration laws and the final straw, is Singapore becoming xenophobic. I can make the following statement without any doubt or conviction.


You have no idea what these words actually mean in reality and what effect it has on society and a nation. You have never been in a war, most definitely do not no what racism is in reality and have no comprehension what so ever what xenophobia is in real life. These words are being thrown around with a total lack of understanding and responsibility.

I have lived and experienced racism, apartheid, discrimination and even xenophobia first hand and believe me when I say, I do not wish that on anybody, not even my worst enemy. It destroys the human spirit, rots society and brings down nations. So here is a firm warning for all you Netizens fuelling the negative sentiments. Be careful. As an on line community we have to be responsible and that means not using the social media to promote your own hidden agendas and misguided views.



If you can not be objective and turn a tragedy into a political, hatred instilling discussion, maybe you should refrain from commenting. I actually feel like I am back in my home country and trust me that is not a good feeling.

This was a tragedy caused by a reckless driver, bottom line.

P.S. My admiration goes out to the Government response to the Taxi Drivers Family.



1 comment:

  1. It seems that the locals are using any incident to politicise what is essentially a tragic accident. The fact that the Ferrari driver was a Chinese national should have no significance. Do they not realise that the influx of immigrants are creating thousands of jobs? This is great for the economy. Instead of feeling threatened by immigrants, the locals should upskill and become more competitive. Singapore seems to me a glorious place to live and work and with everyone working together will only get better. For those who propagate xenophobia, read up on the 2008 xenophobic attacks in South Africa to see the devastating effects it has. This car accident caused 3 deaths. Xenophobia will cause many more.

    ReplyDelete