Total Pageviews

Advertising Curse & Coming Up

I have been frustrated with the television and the on line world for some time now but have resisted to voice my issues until I heard that General Motors are withdrawing all their advertising from Face book as they are not getting a realistic return on their investment. I know why. It's because the advertising on both mediums have become absolutely ridiculous.

You can not watch any television programs live as a result of the intense advertising being thrown at you during the broadcast. You watch 5 minutes followed by 7 minutes of ads over and over. The only way, and thank the stars for that is to tape the program and then watch it with your finger on the fast forward button. The other thing that really gets me is the same ads being repeated time and again.



Obviously the people who work for advertising companies do not watch television else they would have realised we do not actually watch the ads. No, I go and make coffee or do some other in between task and then continue to watch my program. It's outrages to say the least. I know everybody must make a buck, but try something different people and let us enjoy the television experience again.  If you show adds before and after the program it will most likely get more attention.



The Internet is even worse. It's in your face and shoved down your throat. There is "Skin" advertising which pops up all over the page you actually wanted to view, banner adds, video add inserts etc.etc. Even You Tube videos are full of the shit. Nothing worse than trying to watch a quick video and being forced to first watch a 30 second video on some soap, shampoo or miracle skin product. Really???

The worst is watching a beautiful music video with the add in the corner and every few seconds sounding some message. This happened to me yesterday and I just closed the video and took a smoke break.


Coming up, next. in the next episode and after the break. When I  hear those words I truly want to have a breakdown. I absolute do not want to know what is going to happen in the remainder of the program I am watching. It's like reading the last page of a book and then trying to enjoy reading the book. What's the point. Like watching a rugby or soccer game and half time they show you a preview of the second half action and goals scored. Come on.



Once again and fortunately I have resorted to taping my favourite programs and then fast forward all the "preview" crap. The point of watching any program is not knowing or having glimpses of what the program is all about. The people who invented this concept should be shot. It's criminal and ruins the pleasure of watching television.



No more live TV for me. It's just so painful with all the ads and the previews on top of it all. To tell you the truth I have deliberately not bought products as a result of their intrusive and irritating advertising and that can not be good for any company.

There, I had my gripe session and honestly I can not be the only person that feels that way. Maybe I should start an on line anti advertising campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment