Total Pageviews

X-Factor and Music in General

This posting is personal posting about music, one of my passions in life, some of my favourites and related music stories. If you want to broaden your music horizons feel free to read on and enjoy. I have been collecting music since I was about 12 years old and it covered the full spectrum from seven singles, LP's, tapes, and CD's thru to the now awesome Blue Ray Music DVD's. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the collection before coming to Singapore and hopefully the new owners get as much fun from it as I did over the years. I kept the CD's.

Music has always been an important part of my life and certain songs relate to fond memories. I grew up listening to people like Ge Korsten, Jim Reeves, Virginia Lee, Elvis Presley, Slim Whitman, Patsy Cline, Nana Mouskuori. Vicky Leandros, Demis Roussos and many other. People with incredible voices who can bring you to tears or make you so happy when you are down. Over time I have broadened my one music spectrum and basically enjoy all types of music except Rap. Never got the point of that one.

During our school years me and my friend Gatoe had our own Disco evening where fellow students payed a small entrance fee and we provided the lights and the music. Very successful baring one specific evening although we ended up spending all the money we earned on buying more music and never got rich or became stars as was the intention. Still we all had fun. He still owns the set of Disco Lights, which he built himself and they are still used on specific occasions.

We also devised many music games over the years like "Bring a Song", where you host a fabulous meal for your friends and they all get to bring their top 3 songs and that is the entertainment for the evening. Afterwards, I would make a CD with all the songs as a gift to everyone. Amazing, the diversity of music that comes out of the woodwork and very enjoyable. The "Guess the Song", where I put together a collection, play 20 seconds of each song and everybody must guess from which movie. The, "I am the DJ", one of Zelma's favourites where she can request any song and I play the music while enjoying a glass or two of fine wine.

Music is also the most important part of many other thing like Movies, Shows, Holiday Driving, Parties, Special Functions, Shopping Malls and sometimes you do not realise exactly what effect it actually has. Ever seen a movie with a bad musical score. It can enhance and make or break a good movie.

I have never watched the X-Factor until this Saturday, mainly due to our "friend" Simon Cowell. It is my personal view but he is rude and just so full of himself and maybe he earned the right to be. I would like to see him and Mr Gordon Ramsey together on a deserted island for a few years. I decided that my love for music was greater and the adverts on the new X-Factor USA season intrigued me so I watched the auditions. Some funny and pretty weird people who can not sing to save their lives, but then that magic moment when you  hear someone sing that brings tears to your eyes. And here it is.  Josh Krajcik, the simple guy with an incredible voice and I am sure he will be very successful.

PS. You need good sound and a suitable place if you are going to listen to any of the videos in the post to enjoy them. Work would not do as you have to sneak it and that's no fun.


During my research over the past few days, I realised it would be impossible to share all the music treasures with you unless you all come to my house and we play that game. So, I will be selective and share some of the memorable stuff from the past two years or so with selective videos. I am sure you will not agree but what can you loose. I realised again and has been debated many times over is the fact that some of the best ballads and love songs were produced by core Rock Bands over the years. Some of the memorable bands are Foreigner, Journey, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Smokey, Pussycat, Cat Stevens, Bonney Tyler, Fleetwood Mac, Boston and many more. I do not forget some nice Reggae and all those Stars like Bob Marley and Eddie Grant.

I digress, and it is difficult not too but the post will become never ending. Impossible too cover the whole lot so I limit it to some precious finds over the past two years. When I met Zelma she was a serious Leonard Cohan fan, but I did not get it and felt his music belonged at a funeral or at some suicide session. Then I bought her the DVD called Leonard Cohen - I Am Your Man. On The DVD they explore his exceptional writing talents with praise coming from stars like Bono from U2. So, I watched the whole thing and many times over and found some incredible artists singing his songs. I include the DVD Trailer and a few others but get the DVD and believe me he is an very talented writer and singer.


Here are some Highlights




The further I get with this post the more I realised it is impossible to cover the topic with the relevant justice it deserves. I skipped decades, and the list of musicians and bands will be pages long. I need a whole separate Blog to cover this the way I should. I am going to conclude with Zelma's latest favourite and certainly this lady has an incredible talent. I love watching her perform.


Maybe one last one. A combination of the two, Movies and Music. The astonishing Kate Winslet performing What If.


I would love to hear your comments and feedback on your own favourite music specials. All the artists are on You Tube if you want to explore some more, even the old ones which is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this brought back memories of when my friend Pierre and I were young. Yes he was the music DJ and I operated the disco lights and other special effects....The good old days.....Please carry on writing, it makes missing my best friend easier, Kind Regards, Gato.

    ReplyDelete