Total Pageviews

An Ordinary Man

I have been thinking about writing a book about my life for many years now and the last four months writing articles and Blogging have only strengthened my resolve. Sure, it won't be a biography like those of famous people but it would be unique in the fact that even ordinary people can have extraordinary lives. It's the story of "An Ordinary Man" and his amazing journey. In the end it would be my legacy I guess and hopefully help mere mortals like myself realise that life is great and worth living even without fame and fortune. It’s the memories that make all the difference.

One thing is for sure, true to my nature this could never be a serious book although true to life it will contain the normal amount of heartbreak, ups and downs. A collection of short stories with all the hectic detail and on the other side there is the interesting, fun, exciting and surprising events down to the surely this could not be true, but still it is.

From humble and poor beginnings, with a burning ambition to never experience that again as my destiny was in my own hands to the early years with all the struggles to get through puberty, the first kiss (truly sweet sixteen) into manhood. My two year stint in the Air Force doing my National Service in war stricken Angola with all the amazing and horrible experiences to my first job. The single years until I got married way too young at the tender age of 23.
My lifelong friend, Gatoe will justify many chapters with titles like Cujo, The Ride Home, The Fallen Condom, Lessons in Life with a Twist, The Ultimate Embarrassment, the Disco Years, How to bury a Secret and many more. I had a sit down with him to decide how much can be shared and would be suitable for public scrutiny.

 My progress in my career to my final position as Managing Director before voluntarily becoming a "Trailing Spouse". The many special teams I was part of and the junior people I mentored and today are the hot shots of the world, The bosses I worked for and how they shaped me to be who I am today.
I spent seven years on a project with a team of people working away from home, living as a family from Monday to Friday in a hotel and believe me, I can tell you stories that would qualify for "Ripley's, Believe it or Not".
The personal journey and a disastrous first marriage, divorce, the single years thereafter, my dream wife and the next 16 wonderful years together. The houses, the moves, career changes and the story of our dogs which is an integral part of our lives. The experience of not having your own children and the wonderful memories of sharing our friends children as our own and being part of their lives. Here is the thing, without children you don't have a legacy or do you. My wife seems to believe that our legacy is "How we touched other peoples lives".

All the amazing holidays and fun stuff like a 238 meter Bungee Jump, Hot Air Balloon Rides, Flying in a Tiger Moth, Glider Flight, Quad Biking, Visiting White Lions, Micro Light Flight over Hazyview, Disney World, Wine Trip in Cape Town, Game Farms, The Lost City, Madame Zingara and so many more.

All my hobbies and believe me there are many, the awesome cars and bikes I have had the pleasure of owning thru the years. My trips to nineteen countries over the years and all the stories that go with that and my favourite, a round the world business trip when I was a consultant for Ernst & Young, 9 countries, 13 cities in 56 days. That alone would cover a few chapters.

Surviving two serious car accidents, a dog attack by three Rottweilers and a near fatal boat accident in Zanzibar while on vacation. The friends that shared our life's and the ones we lost along the way with all the special occasions. The Harley years and all its stories from the Visitors Book and weekend breakaways.

No story can be complete without the "Truth and nothing but the Truth" so I will include a chapter appropriately named "Time to meet Your Soul" You know, that stuff that maybe only your life partner knows and certainly your friends and family have no idea.

The story is by no means over and has entered a whole new dimension with the move to Singapore and who knows what the future holds so I will leave the final chapter to my wife to finish when all is said and done. I have been fortunate and blessed with little regrets over the years.

Oh, in the event that you are reading this and you have a suspicion that you might feature in one of the the stories, don't worry. Apart from the main characters all names will be changed to protect the innocent and the not so "Innocent". That's only fair I think.

I would love to know what you think of the idea so comments welcome. Anyway, I have decided to do it and have done some postings (snippets) on my Blog. I will continue to feature some postings on selected chapters as I go along.

1 comment:

  1. Go for it and remember the holiday jobs with your dad and mine where we were condoned to “Hard Labour” at a wage that could hardly pay for lunch. The horse with the name “Neveron” that would not jump over a one foot hurdle, but..... you know the rest of the tale. Our years in the school band, fishing trips, Ice skating, etc. Start with this sooner rather than later....Regards Gato.

    ReplyDelete