Total Pageviews

Arab Street & Victoria Wholesale Market

I always do some planning prior to visiting new sites and realised that the famous Arab Street was within walking distance of my visit to the Singapore Leaning Tower. Took a casual stroll down Pahang street into Baghdad street (imagine that) down to my destination. My first impressions was how much the streets reminded my of Phuket, alas much cleaner but the same ambiance.



Before reaching Arab street turn right into Bussorah street and walk past loads of foodie spots up to the  majestic Masjid Sultan Mosque at the end of the road. After your visit walk down Arab Street towards Beach Rd. The street is lined with vendor shop houses selling fabric and silk of immense beauty. Many of the restaurants have sheeshas or water pipes, which you can smoke.



When you reach Beach road turn right and here is where the street is lined with some wonderful street cafes, bars and restaurants. A short walk towards Ophir Rd turning right will line you up with another block of foodie heavens. During my trip they were not all open yet and I suggest a late afternoon/night visit to ensure maximum choice from a food perspective.


If you carry on with Ophir Rd past the Raffles Hospital you will reach the Victoria Wholesale Center where you can shop for food, groceries and an array of other household products at bargain prices. The aromas and different food products are wonderful. To be honest, I am still not in the know about some of the dried foods on sale and need some local guide to introduce me to all these delicacies.

I very nice and interesting half day excursion with loads to see and do.


No comments:

Post a Comment